What Are the Common Problems with the 2004 Toyota RAV4?

Overview of 2004 Toyota RAV4 Issues

I’ve been hearing some buzz about the 2004 Toyota RAV4, particularly regarding its reliability and the problems some owners have encountered. As someone considering purchasing one, I wanted to gather insights from those who have firsthand experience.

Common Problems Reported:

• Transmission Issues: Many owners have reported unexpected shifting or failure to shift.
  • Engine Problems: There are complaints about oil leaks and overall engine performance degradation.
  • Suspension Concerns: Some users have pointed out issues with the suspension, leading to a rough ride.
  • Electrical System Glitches: Issues with the electrical system, particularly related to windows and locks, have been mentioned frequently.

It would be great to hear from current or former owners about your experiences, repairs you’ve had to make, and whether you’d recommend this model to someone like me who’s thinking about buying one. Any insights on maintenance costs or tips for avoiding these problems would also be appreciated. Let’s share our thoughts and help each other out on this topic!

I own a 2004 RAV4, and I’ve experienced some engine trouble, particularly with starting issues when the engine is hot. It can be really frustrating since it seems to happen at the most inconvenient times.

That sounds annoying! I’ve heard that the fuel pump can also be a common issue in these models. It can lead to poor performance if it starts failing.

Engine problems are definitely prevalent. I’ve also had issues with the check engine light coming on frequently, even after replacing the O2 sensors.

3 Likes

I feel your pain! My light has been on for ages too. It can really drain your wallet trying to diagnose that.

5 Likes

Transmission issues are another problem. I’ve read that some owners have experienced slipping and rough shifts, which can be a sign of bigger issues down the line. It’s worrying!

2 Likes

Absolutely! I faced those symptoms too, and it’s scary. Thankfully, a fluid change helped for a while, but I’ve heard some need a complete rebuild.

I’ve also had suspension concerns. The ride can feel bumpy, and I’ve noticed my tire wear is uneven. Could this be related to suspension issues?

Yes, uneven tire wear can definitely point to suspension problems. You might want to get a wheel alignment check!

Supportive tips are always great! Just remember, if you’re facing any major issues, it could be worth consulting a mechanic. They can help identify safety risks early.

Speaking of safety risks, I’ve heard the brakes can also be a concern. Some have reported premature wear on the brake pads. It can lead to some scary stops!

That’s a huge safety issue! I had to replace mine sooner than expected too. It’s like they should have better longevity for the price you pay.

Do these issues affect RAV4s in other years too? I’ve seen mixed reviews on various models. Just trying to gauge if I should steer clear or not.

That’s a valid question! The RAV4 years do have reported issues, but many people also have good experiences. It’s a bit of a gamble!

I think the RAV4 can be a great car overall, despite these issues. Many aspects are solid. Just do your research beforehand!

4 Likes

You also need to consider maintenance history. I found one with a good service record, and it seems much more reliable than my last one!

6 Likes

Glad to hear that! It’s funny how one good vehicle can change your entire opinion on a model.

3 Likes

One of the common electrical issues with the 2004 RAV4 is battery failure. It’s not uncommon for these vehicles to have battery problems as they get older.

I’ve also noticed that the alternator can be problematic. If your RAV4 struggles to start, that might be the culprit.

The dashboard lights on my 2004 RAV4 have been flickering occasionally. I wonder if it’s a common wiring issue?