What’s the Real Range of the Smart Electric Drive?

I’m considering getting a Smart ForTwo Electric Drive and I’m really keen to know more about its range.

Here are a few questions I have:

1. Real-World Performance: What kind of range have you actually experienced in urban driving conditions?
  2. Driving Conditions: How does the range vary during different weather conditions or when using the air conditioning?
  3. Comparisons: How does the Smart Electric Drive’s range stack up against other small electric cars?

I’d love to hear your personal experiences and any tips you might have for maximizing range. Are there specific driving habits that you found helped?
If there are any specs or real-world data you can share, that would be super helpful.
Thanks!

5 Likes

I’ve been researching the Smart Electric Drive, and the official range cap is around 68 miles with its 17.6 kWh battery. But how does that hold up in real-world conditions?

1 Like

Great question! Factors like driving style and weather significantly impact efficiency—not just the battery size. Have you experienced different ranges personally?

I’ve read that tire pressure and weight can also alter range. It’s amazing how nuanced it can get. Anyone else notice a big difference?

2 Likes

I have! I drove with a full load and noticed a drop to about 55 miles. Plus, in winter, it seems even less due to heating the cabin.

Efficiency is key! This model does well under optimal conditions, but aggressive driving can cut the range dramatically. The Eco mode helps a lot.

I found that too! It really makes a difference in city driving. Road trips can be tricky though—charging stations aren’t everywhere.

Actually, I’ve calculated my efficiency with different driving styles. I get almost 75 miles under ideal conditions, but it drops quickly with highway speeds.

Absolutely! I read somewhere that highway driving can cut range by up to 30% due to the speed and wind resistance.

4 Likes

That sounds about right! It’s key to know your environment and plan accordingly. What are some tips for maximizing range when driving?

I recommend pre-conditioning the car while plugged in, and always monitoring tire pressure! Those small changes can make a big impact on your daily range.

Haha, who knew being a tire pressure nerd could actually pay off! Great tip though.

Sometimes, I feel electric cars are just like smartphones; they always need a charge, right? But seriously, it’s essential to know your range and plan ahead.

Exactly! We could all learn a little from those who drive longer distances more frequently. Anyone got stories to share about long trips?

I’ve had my Smart Electric Drive for about a year now. On a full charge, I usually get around 70 miles in mixed driving conditions. Weather does play a significant role; I’ve noticed decreased range in colder months.

That’s interesting! I’ve only experienced about 60 miles max when driving in the city with heavy stop-and-go traffic. Weather and traffic really affect the range, I think.

6 Likes

I’ve found that driving style significantly impacts the range. When I drive cautiously and avoid rapid acceleration, I can stretch it to 75 miles, but it requires discipline!

That’s a good point! I tend to drive more aggressively and I’m often stuck at around 65 miles. Maybe I should work on slowing down.

Also, terrain plays a big role. I live in a hilly area and definitely see a drop in range due to the uphill drives. Flat areas are a game changer for my range!

Absolutely! I also experience this. On flat roads, I can manage around 80 miles easily, but those hills really chew through the battery!

6 Likes