Why is my car idling rough when stopped?

I’ve been having some trouble with my car recently and could really use some help diagnosing the issue. When I come to a complete stop, the engine starts to idle really rough. Here are some details:

• Make & Model: I drive a 2015 Honda Civic.
  • Mileage: About 70,000 miles.
  • Recent Changes: I got an oil change last month, but I haven’t done anything else recently.

Symptoms:

• The engine shakes a bit when at a stop.
  • The RPMs fluctuate slightly.
  • Occasionally, the engine feels like it might stall but doesn’t.

I haven’t noticed any warning lights on the dashboard, but I’m worried it could lead to a bigger problem if I don’t take care of it soon. Has anyone experienced something similar? What could be causing this? Any advice on what I should check or possible fixes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

6 Likes

Idling rough can often be tied to spark plug issues. If they’re worn or fouled, they can cause misfires, making the engine run unevenly. Have you checked them yet?

That’s a great point! Another common culprit is the fuel injector. If it’s clogged, you might not be getting the right amount of fuel, which can definitely cause rough idling.

Don’t overlook vacuum leaks, either! A small crack in a vacuum line can mess with the air-fuel mixture leading to a rough idle. It’s worth checking out!

3 Likes

Absolutely! If you suspect a vacuum leak, use brake cleaner to spray around hoses while the engine is running. If the idle changes, you’ve found your leak!

Also, could be an issue with the ignition coil. If one of them is failing, you might experience a rough idle. Have you had any check engine light come on?

Check your air filter as well! A clogged air filter can restrict airflow to the engine, causing it to struggle and idle roughly. It’s a simple fix if that’s the issue.

Good thinking! Sometimes people forget about the simplest things. Regular maintenance can solve a lot of these rough idle problems!

7 Likes

I had a similar problem once; it turned out to be a dirty throttle body. Cleaning it resolved the rough idle. It’s a bit of a chore but worth the effort!

That’s a good reminder! A throttle position sensor issue can also cause rough idling, as it affects how the engine manages air intake.

8 Likes

My buddy had to replace his EGR valve for a similar idle issue. When it malfunctions, it can introduce too much exhaust into the engine, leading to performance problems.

Yeah, but have you considered that sometimes it just needs a software update? Modern cars can behave weirdly without the latest updates. It’s insane how electronic these vehicles have become!

It’s all about the diagnostics! Having a good OBD-II scanner can help you pinpoint the issue before throwing money at random repairs. Highly recommend it!

True! Our cars have become like phones. Back in the day, you could just fix it yourself without even thinking about tech issues!

You’re all making this way too serious! Maybe the car just wants a break. I mean, who doesn’t get cranky if they’re overworked? Just give it a rest!

5 Likes

Haha, good humor! But in all seriousness, taking preventative maintenance seriously can help avoid rough idling in the first place.

8 Likes

Have you checked for any OBD-II codes yet? It’s a great first step to narrow down the problem. Most auto parts stores will read them for free!

I totally agree! Also, remember to look for vacuum leaks. They can sometimes cause rough idling too.

8 Likes

Reading OBD-II codes is super easy! Just plug in the scanner, turn the ignition on, and follow the prompts. Have you done this yet?

4 Likes

If the OBD-II doesn’t show anything, see if your spark plugs need replacing. Worn plugs can definitely lead to rough idling.

2 Likes