Looking for Reviews and Tips on the 2006 Toyota Highlander V6

I’ve been researching the 2006 Toyota Highlander V6 as I consider buying one, and there seems to be a lot of mixed information out there.

Key Points of Interest:

• Reliability & Maintenance: I’ve come across discussions about some common issues, like alternator charging problems. Has anyone experienced this, or are there other reliability concerns I should be aware of?
  • Performance: How does the V6 engine hold up? I’d like to hear from owners about how it performs during everyday use as well as on longer trips.
  • Pricing: I’m checking out pricing on platforms like Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds, but I’d love to hear real-world numbers from anyone who has recently purchased one. What should I expect to pay?
  • User Experience: Overall, how do you feel about owning a Highlander? Any tips on what to look for when inspecting a used model?

I appreciate any insights, whether it’s about driving experience or common maintenance issues. Thanks in advance for your help!

7 Likes

I’ve owned a 2006 Toyota Highlander V6 for over 5 years. The engine performance is solid, with good acceleration for a midsize SUV. I often take road trips, and it handles highway speeds comfortably. However, I had to replace the spark plugs sooner than expected.

1 Like

That’s interesting, antonio47! I’ve had a similar experience with maintenance. My Highlander handles well in rain, but I find it a bit sluggish on steep hills. Anyone else face similar challenges?

I drive my Highlander daily and find the reliability to be great! I’ve had it serviced regularly, and it rarely gives me issues. Just keep up with the oil changes, and it should serve you well.

She’s still going strong at 180,000 miles! The only major thing was a transmission fluid change after some weird shifting issues. Otherwise, it’s been a dependable vehicle! Very family-friendly too.

Totally agree with you, gchristensen! I’ve even used it off-road a bit, and it did surprisingly well for an SUV. Although I always stick to proper maintenance, that really helps with the reliability.

I’ve read mixed reviews on the handling of the 2006 Highlander. Some say it’s stable while others find it a bit lacking in sharpness. What’s your take on that, folks?

2 Likes

I think it’s stable, but I did notice some body roll when cornering. It feels more like a cruiser than a sporty vehicle. If you want sportiness, look elsewhere.

In my experience, it performs well in snow with good tires. I live in a cold area, and it’s managed well without getting stuck. Anyone else had great winter experiences?

The engine’s torque is fantastic! It pulls smoothly when towing my small trailer. As long as you don’t overload it, you’ll be just fine.

Good to hear! I haven’t towed anything with mine yet, but the idea sounds encouraging. What’s the maximum load you recommend?

4 Likes

The manual advises against towing more than 3,500 lbs. I usually stick under the limit for added peace of mind. Better safe than sorry!

I had a minor issue with my brakes squeaking, but a quick brake inspection fixed that. Just basic stuff over time, nothing crazy.

Glad to hear it was an easy fix, colin48! What kind of brake pads are you using? I’ve heard OEM might be better for longevity.

I’ve only ever used OEM brakes. They might be pricier, but I think they’re worth it for performance and durability. Just my two cents!

I find the seating in the 2006 Toyota Highlander V6 quite comfortable for long trips. The driver’s seat has good lumbar support, which is a plus!

8 Likes

I totally agree! My family loves the spaciousness inside. We have plenty of room for car seats and weekend luggage.

The cargo space is impressive too! It’s perfect for road trips or moving things around town.

5 Likes

For sure! I often fold the seats down for larger items. It’s very practical.

I’ve noticed that the technology in the 2006 model is a bit outdated compared to newer cars. The sound system could use an upgrade as well.